The original building was built between 1947 and 1953 and is the only public building by the Ghent architect Gaston Eysselinck.
In order to turn the building into a lively cultural centre, B-Architecten created a public space in the courtyard: an open air theatre. Underneath the open-air theatre is the largest theatre auditorium, directly accessible from the former ticket office. The open air theatre follows the roof slope of the theatre hall.
A small hall has been created on top of the fly tower of the large hall. The retractable grandstand in the small auditorium has a capacity of 190 seats. In order to achieve optimal sightlines, stage lifts can be used to raise the stage in different areas.